Did you know that your makeup shouldn’t be used indefinitely? After a time of use, it should be tossed. Below are some general guidelines. Note that mascara has the shortest life span. That is because it has the highest risk of infection. If your makeup every changes color or smells bad, toss it without a second thought.
- Mascara – 3 months.
- Concealer – 12 months (6 months for a wand applicator).
- Pressed powders (including blush and eye shadow) – 1-2 years.
- Lip products – 1-4 years.
- Foundation – water, 12 months; oil, 18 months.
- Eye pencils – 1 year.
- All natural makeup – 6 months (due to no preservatives).
- Nail polish – 2 years.
In addition, you should wash out your brushes every 2-3 months, and wash sponges every week, then toss monthly.Photo credit: Image: Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net